The Fibre Co. loves working with, and encouraging, indie designers. We are incredibly excited to announce our Yarn Support Programme that will enable us to work with more indie designers throughout the year.
The programme features seasonal requests from designers who would like yarn support to self-publish new designs focusing on specific themes and The Fibre Co. yarn brands. We are looking to work with a range of indie-designers, celebrating the diverse range of talent and a variety of skill level and experience in the fibre community. We wish that every maker in our community feels represented by patterns available to them and we know there are some truly inspiring independent designers out there to help us do that.
The TFC team has been drawn together from people who really understand what it takes to turn out a high quality pattern that inspires knitters. On our team are tech editors, designers, writers, photographers and maker business owners. All of us love the fibre crafts and want your designs to succeed in every way. We really want to work with you to create something truly inspiring and promote it in a way that feels good to you.
Request 1 | Autumn/ Winter 17/18
For this first call of the Yarn Support Programme, we are looking for accessories using two of our snuggly heavier weight yarns, Tundra and Arranmore. Our unique blend yarns create beautiful fabrics and we are looking forward to seeing how your designs respond to the yarns’ characteristics.
We are also looking for designers to be part of our launch of a gorgeous new blend from The Fibre Co. This new yarn is a DK weight launching in time for A/W 2017/18 and it knits up at 22-24 sts per 10 cm on 3.75-4 mm needles.
More details of the yarns and inspiration boards can be obtained if you email us, expressing interest. We can also add you to our designer’s mailing list.
- The designer will be responsible for all aspects of self-publishing the pattern to an agreed timescale including (technical editing, test knitting, layout, photography and marketing).
- The Fibre Co. will provide designers with full yarn support for selected designs. We will also work with you to promote your designs to our customers and yarn shops where appropriate.
- All designs published with yarn support from this programme will be self-published by the designer. The designer retains full rights. The Fibre Co. will request use of images to promote the designs and collaborate where appropriate.
The deadline for submission of design proposals is 18 April 2017. We will be in touch by 8 May 2017 if your design has been selected.
The publishing deadline should fall between 1st September 2017 and 30th November 2017. Final timelines will be agreed once your design has been accepted.
Please submit a one-page pdf with the following details:
- Photographs of your knitted swatches showing 2 full repeats of any stitch patterns or texture work used. (Swatches do not have to use The Fibre Co. yarn but should be a similar style of yarn to the one you have requested for the design.)
- Images of your design sketches (hand drawn or digital).
- Written description of how the design is constructed, the type of stitches used and any other details important to the design.
- Size spec with garment dimensions.
You can submit more than one design, please provide a one page pdf for each idea and send all documents in the same email.
Tell us a little bit about yourself:
- Why do you want to design with yarn from The Fibre Co.?
- Send us links to your Ravelry page, website / blog, Instagram, etc.
All design submissions must be sent via email to [email protected] by 5pm on Tuesday 18th April 2017. Please use the subject line “Yarn Support for Indie Designers – Request no. 1”.
We can’t wait to see what you dream up and we hope you’ll share this news with others you’d like to see designing with our yarns.