Designed by Kate Atherley, the Warm and Easy Hat is an ideal project for beginners to practice their knit stitches and working in the round. The beanie is a wardrobe staple and ideal for a first knitting project! This small project is relatively quick to knit and perfect for learning to knit in the round, work ribbing and get decreases down. With clear illustrated instructions and a full range of tutorials, the Warm and Easy Hat will help guide newbie knitters to build confidence and skills. It is also a lovely option for more experienced knitters who appreciate clean, minimalist design, and relaxing knitting with beautiful, affordable yarns. This kit is for a colourblock version of the hat in the &Make DK yarn. Kits are also available for colourblock versions of the &Make Aran Warm and Easy Hat, and &Make Super Bulky Warm and Easy Hat.
The Warm and Easy Hat is worked in the round, from the brim up to the crown. You will begin by casting on the contrast colour and then working the brim with knit 1, purl 1 ribbing in that colour. When the brim is finished, change your knitting yarn to your main colour working the body of the hat in Stockinette Stitch — knitting every round. When the body is finished, you will work decreases in the crown until just a few stitches are left. Secure the stitches, weave in the ends, block your hat, and voila! Your first hat is ready to wear!
- Free PDF of Warm and Easy Hat knitting pattern by Kate Atherley
- 3 balls of &Make DK yarn – 2 of the main colour and 1 of the contrast colour on the rib
- &Make Project Bag from The Fibre Co.
&Make Aran (50% Highland wool, 50% alpaca, 150 m (164 yd) per 100 g ball) – 3 balls.
The photos show the hat in the main colour Mille Pink and the contrast rib in the contrast colour Look At The Stars.
Choose your &Make DK hat main colour from the first set of colours and the contrast colour from the second set of colours.
Sizes and measurements:
The kit includes enough yarn to make the following sizes:
&Make DK – Sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) with finished measurements:
Circumference: 35 (40, 45, 50, 55, 60) cm / 14 (16, 18, 20, 22, 24) inches
Height: 15 (18, 20, 22, 23, 25) cm / 6 (7, 8, 8.5, 9, 10) inches
To choose your size, take your actual head circumference measurement and subtract 0 to 5 cm (0 to 2 inches) for ‘negative ease’, and to make the hat fit comfortably.
Needles and notions required:
- 3.75mm (US 5) circular needles in a length that is smaller than the finished circumference of your hat
- 4mm (US 6) circular needles in a length that is smaller than the finished circumference of your hat
- 4mm (US 6) circular needles or double-pointed needles for working a small circumference in the round
Note: you may want to use bigger/smaller needles depending on your swatch gauge, as described in the Gauge section
- 1 stitch marker to remind you where the round begins, and 1 removable stitch marker
- A darning needle to weave in ends
- How to Knit a Gauge Swatch
- Long Tail Cast On
- How to Weave in Ends
- How to Block Your Knitting
- How to Knit in the Round
This is a beginner pattern. For more specs go to the Warm and Easy Hat pattern page.
We also have a fantastic 3-part series of free online knitting classes with Kate Atherley to help you knit the Warm and Easy Hat! All three classes were recorded and are available to view on YouTube here.