Yarn Support at
The Fibre Co.
Yarn Support is a collaboration whereby The Fibre Co. provides yarn to a designer who is creating a new crochet or knitting pattern.
Yarn Support Work?
We try to accept as many requests as possible but as a small brand with finite resources, we consider yarn support submissions carefully to ensure that each new design we support has a good chance of being a commercial success, that it will fit in with other seasonal designs we have planned and most importantly, delight and inspire makers to enjoy crafting with yarn. Putting together a request for yarn support can be a bit daunting especially if you have never done it before. A few things that are worth thinking about when you are coming up with a submission are:
- Cost-effective Yarn Choice
Does your proposed design use an average amount of yarn for its type? Does it balance project affordability with an interesting and fun make? A sweater project that costs $500 might be gorgeous, but it isn’t likely to be popular and we usually don’t provide yarn support for these.
- Seasonally Appropriate
When choosing a yarn to design with, think about how the yarn compliments the design and the season. For inspiration, look at The Fibre Co.’s seasonal guide to knitting – The Almanac Series – for some ideas on which yarns to consider. We celebrate one of our yarns every month and are keen to support projects that are timed accordingly. These projects get the most attention with kit launches, yarn stories, stockist testimonials and more!
- Great Images
One of the most important factors to any design’s success is photography quality. Requests that demonstrate high quality photography of previously published designs are well received. If you’re just getting started, check out our blog post on improving your photography and practice by keeping social media accounts updated with photos that inspire.
- Widely Available Patterns
Selling your patterns on platforms that are accessed by a large group of makers is important to the community of makers that stock, promote and use The Fibre Co. yarns. Your participation in Ravlery’s In-Store program that allows stockists to sell your patterns is a great way to leverage their ability to promote your work.
Request Yarn Support?
For each design idea, submit a one-page document in pdf format with the following information:
- Brief introduction to your work and your interest in creating the proposed design
- Sketch of the design idea, either hand-drawn and scanned or CAD created
- Description of how the design is constructed, its intended ease, the type of stitches used and other key details
- Choice of yarn line and suggestions for colours
- Images of swatches. These are not required to be in The Fibre Co. yarn.
- Designer information to include:
a. Full name (please add preferred pronouns)
b. Business name if applicable
c. Email address
d. Links to previous design work as published on your website, Ravelry store, and/or social media
- Timeline of when you hope to be launching the design
- Approximate yardage required or used for the design
Once you’ve prepared your pdf with the points listed above, you’re ready to complete the form at the bottom of this page.
If you are successful with your application for yarn support we like to stay in touch throughout your journey. Our support does not end once the yarn has been shipped off to you, we love helping to promote your designs to the public and our stockists. Here’s how we will support your launch:
- Test knitter yarn discount
- Email to our public mailing list
- Email promoting the design to our stockists if the pattern is sold on Ravelry and participates in the In-Store Program
- Share on social media
- Coupon for discount on the yarn used to share with your audience