The Supernova Cardigan is a cleverly constructed cardigan designed by Imke von Nathusius which begins with just a few stitches at the back neck and radiates outward with sections of a simple broken rib stitch pattern and wide columns of stockinette stitch forming the graphic raglan shaping. The doubled neck band is knit-as-you-go and the folded hem makes a smooth, professional finish.
Named for a powerful and luminous stellar explosion, the Supernova Cardigan will be the bright star of your handmade wardrobe.
The Supernova Cardigan is the third pattern from The Almanac Series II, a seasonal guide to knitting with The Fibre Co. yarns.
The first days of autumn are celebrated in our Yarn of the Month for September, Arranmore Light. This tweedy, richly textured DK-weight yarn has the traditional look of tweed yarns of the past and nostalgic back-to-school feelings, but the luxurious blend of cashmere, Merino, and silk, this is not your average yarn.
- PDF of Supernova Cardigan knitting pattern
- 3-7 hanks of The Fibre Co. Arranmore Light (depending on your size)
- Free Project Bag from The Fibre Co.
The Fibre Co. Arranmore Light (80% merino wool, 10% cashmere, 10% silk, 300 m (328 yd) per 100g hank) in Orla – 3 [4: 4: 4: 5: 5: 6: 7: 7] hanks.
The photos show the Cardigan in Orla. Choose from any shade of Arranmore Light as shown above.
Sizes and measurements:
1 [2: 3: 4: 5: 6: 7: 8: 9]
To fit a chest circumference of: 76-81 [86-91: 97-102: 107-112: 117-122: 127-132: 137-142: 147-152: 157-162] cm (30-32 [34-36: 38-40: 42-44: 46-48: 50-52: 54-56: 58-60: 62-64] in)
Chest Circumference (at underarm): 87 [97: 107: 115: 125: 135 145 157 167]cm (34.75 [38.75: 42.75: 46: 60: 54: 58.75: 62:75 66.75 in)
Needles and notions required:
- 1 pair 4mm (US 6) needles (or size to obtain gauge), (circular needles length should be at least 80 – 120 cm (32 – 48 in))
- 1 pair 3.5mm (US 4) needles (or size to obtain gauge), (circular needles length should be at least 80 – 120 cm (32 – 48 in))
- 4mm (US 6) circular needle or double-pointed needles for working a small circumference in the round
- 3.5mm (US 4) 60 cm (24 in) circular needle or double-pointed needles (or size to obtain gauge) for working a small circumference in the round
- 10 Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or waste yarn
- Tapestry needle
- Seaming the folded hem
- Front band short rows
- Top-down seamless cardigan construction
- Long Tail Cast-on
This is an intermediate pattern. For more specs, please go to the Supernova Cardigan pattern page.